Wednesday, September 26, 2012

63 Sisters, 2 Truths, & 1 Lie

Getting pumped for Homecoming!
 Joining a sorority was a big move for me. Being around 50-60 girls I am already beginning to think of as my family, creates strong bonds and makes for a lot of fun time spent together. For Alpha Gamma Delta (the Gams), this typically includes a lot of obnoxious unnecessary laughter and jokes. For a cataplectic, this typically includes body paralysis, usually partial but sometimes the whole big deal.

I knew I'd soon have to tell my new sisters about me; they need to know if they're going to be a part of my life through college and the rest of my future. But I hadn't quite thought of how to bring the subject up and explain to everyone at once. My Resident Assistants hadn't even been told yet, whoops... I was going to put the thought away for later when my sisters suggested as we were getting to know each other after Bid Day, that we play Two Truths and a Lie.

My grandparents' Haunted House in Mansfield, Ohio.
When my turn was up I was fully prepared. My three statements were:

1) I love raccoons.
2) My family owns and runs a haunted house.
3) I have my own show on MTV.

Of course everyone thought I lying about the last one, but I shook my head and laughed a bit, telling them how much I hate and am terrified of raccoons. Before I could even begin to explain the MTV deal, a few girls made the connection. They asked me if I slept on TV, between a few "oh-my-gods" and "no ways". And I then got to explain to nearly all of my curious new sisters at once, what narcolepsy and cataplexy are and what to do if I had an attack.

It was the easiest, painless way I've ever had to tell somebody about my narcaplexy and I'm so glad they were understanding. I really do have the best sisters a girl could ever ask for!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie, I love this post. First of all, your family's haunted house looks spooktacular!!

    I love the way you described your feelings knowing you would likely have to tell your new sisters, especially with so much laughter and cataplexy looming large. I'm so glad you found a way to comfortably bring it up. You, my dear friend, have overcome a lot of adversity and you carry yourself with such grace and smiles, that you a wonderful advocate for narcolepsy! Maybe I'll have to swing by "the Gams" house for a book signing some time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete